Stewart among 25 SEMO signees

Stewart among 25 SEMO signees

Brendan Stewart was one of three running backs or fullbacks signed by SEMO Feb. 6. The other two are Michael Ford of Marquette Catholic in Alton and Mark Cushing from Holt High School in Wentzville, Mo.

SEMO signed four other players from Illinois, including offensive lineman Gabe Phillips and tight end Lawton Kletzman, both from Glenwood High School in Springfield; Tyler McLemore is a safety from Godfrey who attended Alton High School; Fletcher Evans is a linebacker from Centennial High School in Champaign.

In total, 20 players committed to SEMO Feb. 6 while the school announced five other mid-year transfers, which are players now enrolled at the school and eligible to take part in spring practices.

SEMO head football coach Tony Samuel addressed the team’s 2013 signees last week.

“I think it’s a nice class overall, but we’ll see,” Samuel said in a press conference Feb. 6

The signed players come from a lot of different areas, Samuel said.

About the three players who either were running backs or fullbacks while in high school, Samuel said they offer “nice variety, all three of them can catch the football.”

In his senior season at CHS Stewart finished the 2012 season with 38 touchdowns. He carried the football 164 times for 2,049 yards and was named to the Illinois Football Coaches Association’s Class 2A All-State Team.

The Redhawks compete in the Ohio Valley Conference and part of the Division I Football Championship Subdivision, which was formerly known as Division I-AA.

SEMO finished the 2012 season with a 3-8 record. The team is coached by Tony Samuel.

The Redhawks open the 2013 season at Southeastern Louisiana Aug. 29 in a non-conference contest. SEMO plays eight games as part of the OVC schedule, which has not yet been set. Other non-conference games so far for next season are at Mississippi Sept. 7 and vs. SIU-Carbondale Sept. 21.