Postseason begins May 13 for county baseball
For many Macoupin County teams, playoff competition will start May 13-15.
Carlinville High School begins play in the IHSA Class 2A Regional May 13. The No. 4 Cavaliers will host No. 5 Vandalia at the high school field with the winner advancing to take on No. 1 Litchfield Wednesday, May 15, at 4:30 p.m. in Vandalia. In the other regional semifinal, No. 2 Greenville faces No. 3 Hillsboro.
The semifinal winners will advance on and compete for the Vandalia regional championship which is set for Saturday, May 18, at 1 p.m.
• North Mac High School, which had a 15-2 overall record and was 5-1 in the Sangamon Conference entering a May 7 game against Pleasant Plains, will take on host Auburn in the Class 2A Auburn Regional Thursday, May 16, at 4:30 p.m. North Mac is the No. 2 seed while Auburn is seeded No. 3.
The Auburn regional championship is set for Saturday, May 18, at 1 p.m.
• Gillespie High School is the top seed in a Class 2A Gillespie Regional. The Miners will take on the winner of No. 5 Roxana and No. 4 Metro East Lutheran of Edwardsville Wednesday, May 15, at 4:30 p.m.
• Southwestern High School is the No. 2 seed in the Class 2A Gillespie Regional. The Piasa Birds face the winner of No. 3 Staunton High School and No. 6 East Alton-Wood River Thursday, May 16, at 4:30 p.m.
The Gillespie regional championship is set for Saturday, May 18, at 1 p.m.
• Bunker Hill High School is the top-seeded team in the IHSA Class 1A Raymond-Lincolnwood Regional. The Minutemen received a bye and will take on the winner of Mulberry Grove and Nokomis Wednesday, May 15, at 4:30 p.m. in the first semifinal.
• Mt. Olive High School is the No. 3 seed in the Class 1A Raymond Regional. The Wildcats take on No. 2 Raymond-Lincolnwood Wednesday, May 15, at 7 p.m. in the second regional semifinal.
The semifinal winners will advance to the regional final Saturday, May 18, at 2 p.m.
• Greenfield/Northwestern is the No. 4 seed in the IHSA Class 1A Carrollton Regional. The team takes on No. 5 Brussels Monday, May 13, at 4:30 p.m. The winner takes on No. 1 White Hall-North Greene May 15.